Ebola is curable. In breakthrough clinical drug trials in the Democratic Republic of Congo, two new drugs have given patients a 90% survival rate.
Scientists seeking a cure for the deadly Ebola virus have found that clinical trials using a new type of treatment in the Democratic Republic of Congo have proved highly effective.
An outbreak of the disease has killed at least 1800 people in the past year in the DRC.
Doctor Anthony Fauci is one of the researchers who worked with the World Health Organisation on the treatments. He said they could be ready to roll out very soon.
happening before a more important action or event
• Preliminary market research indicates the new product will be very popular.
• My team was knocked out during the preliminary stages of the tournament.
measure of the number of times or frequency something happens
• Rob steals biscuits at a rate of four per day! Were watching you, Rob!
• Due to extra policing, the crime rate is lower than ever before!
cannot be cured
• Before antibiotics were discovered, many diseases were incurable.
• Im afraid the disease has spread too far and is now incurable. Im sorry.
Which of these does NOT mean causing death?
For the answer, watch this on our website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview/unit-11/session-103
[Cover: Getty Images]
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: http://www.bbclearningenglish.com